Friday, August 11, 2017

No. 802: Marshadow

I'm Marshie! Spelled with an M, then -arshie!


So here we have it, the last Pokemon until Gen 8. Some sort of Deep Purple looking little duder. How is this a legendary, again? Don't get me wrong, I'm digging the design, and a Ghost/Fighting type sounds like something that's so far up my alley it's physically uncomfortable, but...

a little underwhelming, innit? Marshadow totally looks like a first-stage in a three-stage line. He ought to evolve into something bigger and badder, with more elaborate swirling smoke designs, but still the only points of color are the eyes. Grow extra arms, too, I don't care if Machamp already used that idea.

If he was gonna evolve, then he's a great start. But as a Legendary, Marshadow is a huge disappointment. Just a little fart cloud.


Overall: 5/10

5 comments:

  1. Inb4 he gets a new special form or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do the Alola forms as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It can turn its hood green IIRC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading through your archive yet again (this is by far my absolute favorite Pokemon website), and I have to say I think you were a little unfair in your assessment of poor Marshie. I mean, isn't the point of many mythical Pokemon to be adorable little sprites of joy who are deceptively super powerful rather than super badass beasts of destruction and slaughter? Sure, some, like Genesect fall firmly in the latter, but then you got mythicals like Mew and Victini, who both received perfect scores from you despite being of the same design philosophy as Marshadow here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, Mew and the like seem "finished". They're small and cute, but it's clearly their end state. But somehow, Marshadow makes me expect MORE. maybe that's unfair, but I never claimed to be fair.

      (And just between you and me, Victini is one of those 10/10s I regret the most. I don't hate it or anything, it's still pretty good, but looking back I think I must have been high on the promise of a new Gen.)

      Delete