Sunday, August 13, 2017

Alolan Rattata

*James Cagney voice* Ooh, you dirty little rat!

Of course I'm doing the Alolan forms, because they're essentially brand-new Pokemon, just with halfway recycled designs. Which I don't mind, really. I'd rather they just re-skin Rattata each game instead of making up a new shitty rodent, especially if they're gonna give it more interesting typings. (Note that this doesn't affect the original version's scores at all)

Alolan Rattata is Dark/Normal, which to me sort of makes vanilla Rattata obsolete. His design isn't offensive, but just looks like some kid's day-1 sprite edit - color shift, and draw a few more spikey dongles on it. Making the whiskers into a mustache is funny.

I admit I have a bizarre sense of nostalgia for the classic purple/white colorscheme, despite patently not giving any shits about Rattata, but there's nothing wrong with the dark tones. All in all, a definite improvement.

I mean, it's still freaking Rattata, though...


Overall: 5/10 -> 6/10

2 comments:

  1. Even the Rival in Red/ Blue ditched his Raticate, this line is shit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Of course I'm doing the Alolan forms"

    I feel like this post replied to my comment from the previous post. I feel so special!

    ReplyDelete